I heard that term a few years back. At first I thought, well that is stupid! But, the more I thought about it the more it made sense. Isn’t that what we all want to do, healthy, healthy, healthy…….dead. Think about it - you’re active enjoying life one day and the next day you’re gone. No suffering, no burden to others, and no waiting around for the inevitable. The goal should be to live a long life and then die healthy.
Is that even possible? I think it is but you have to start now. To do so you have to be well, not just healthy. Think about what you are currently doing in the following areas, if you are not doing them now, what makes you think you are going to do them when you are older? The areas I think are important to prepare for are:
- Physical-are you going to be able to move thought space to enjoy the things you like to do?
- Financial- are you putting money away for the future to enjoy the things you like to do.
- Social- are you able to make new friends in a variety of situations, do you have someone to do the things you like to do, with?
- Mental-are you challenging yourself to learn new things, maybe you will find more things you like to do?
- Emotional- are you developing a support system to help you?
- Spiritual-So many times we don’t want to include Spirituality in being healthy. Spiritualty can be many things to many people. I my mind it is more than a belief in a supreme being, it is about faith in others and purpose. Do you have faith in others and purpose?
To Die Healthy is a hell of a goal! Most of us will struggle either physically or mentally. I want to remind everyone of the words of the great Green Bay Packer coach Vince Lombardi “We are going to chase perfection and in the process catch excellent!”
Chase perfection……Die Healthy