Keep Healthy during the Holidays
Let’s enjoy the holidays without weight gain this year!
The average amount of weight gain during the holidays isn’t very much, however most people don’t lose the pound or two gained and that can add up year after year!
Here are some tips to lower calorie and fat intake during the holiday season to help prevent weight gain: • Drink water as your meal beverage (flavor naturally with lemon, lime, or orange slices)
• Substitute low-fat plain Greek yogurt in place of sour cream in dip recipes
• If you drink an alcoholic drink like wine, dilute it with half carbonated water
• Add cooked brown rice to your stuffing (for 3 cups of stuffing, add about 2-3 cups of cooked brown rice and a little low-sodium broth and mix well)
• For lower calorie pecan pie, use reduced-calorie pancake syrup instead of karo syrup, substitute half of the pecans with Grape Nuts cereal, use egg whites instead of whole eggs and add 1 Tbsp. flour
• For lower calorie pumpkin pie use egg whites instead of whole eggs, use evaporated skim milk instead of regular, reduce the sugar by 25% and serve with low-fat whipped cream.
• For lower fat gravy strain off the fat using a gravy de-fatter cup or freeze the juice briefly in a shallow pan so you can remove the solidified fat from the top • Substitute half or all of the oil in a recipe with applesauce
• Substitute half or all of the oil in a recipe with pureed pumpkin